Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dream livin!


After approximately 24 months of travel I have found the vision of my dream life come true....staying on the ocean, putting on my surfboard leash from my steps to paddle out to 3 different pointbreaks. I always visualized a place that was completely quiet from others, only natures sounds (waves, birds, animals, wind, etc..), ON the ocean (so close I had to evacuate last tuesday for a possible typhoon), Open air type living (several windows with views and fresh breeze coming through my place, View of the point break from my BED!, Hammock on my front porch overlooking the surf, surrounded by young coconut trees and green bushes, flowers, Close to Fruit varieties ...

I am about 10 minute walk to my Durian Dealer (season is NOW: NOv, DEC, Jan ( I also get my fruit delivered to my doorstep: yesterday I received 50lbs of durian, 15lbs of sweetesst papaya ever, 12lbs of rambutans, 8lbs of bananas, 10lbs of Marangs, 7lbs of juicysweet Pineapples, 1lb of Oranges....ALL for $55 USA!!
I am giving much away today and tomorrow for xmas gifts to new people i have met around the village and to strangers..)..

PEACE and SERENITY....reconnection with Nature...totally listening to my bodies needs as far as nutrition is concerned....savouring every juicy sweet flavor of the fruit varieties. Walking around Naked my property if and when I choose....I enjoy the Sunlight daily and get plenty of vitamin D. contributing sooo easily to village kids with my time or giving fruit (which they absolutely jump for joy for, this would be ridiculous in a USA suberb to give a bannana to a kid, they would laugh at my face and say NO, YUCKY!! give me chocolate now, heheheh).

Also in this dream life it will be a bonus to include a special someone to share it with, and I feel I have several options for this person within 4 hours away by bus when and If I choose to go for it...so many Philippino ladies educated and and yet have kept their 'simple' roots, which allows them to be comfortable doing nothing for hours on end, like myself (which takes lots of continued practice to 'unlearn' the need for being busy).

I have felt my self wanting to get more busy with contribution efforts….I started making more “friend not food” t-shirts to give to people ( found a resource here for $3/tshirt, cheaper than BALI), I start planning which fruits I will give to who, I journal about being nicer to people by smiling and saying hello constantly instead of ignoring the unrelenting stares from locals ( I would do the same thing had I grown up here all my life and finally see a white man walk by my village, so I must keep reminding myself this and have compassion. I believe only few USA people will understand this because it took lots of time in 3rd worlds to get this way)…..

How else to I try to keep myself busy: moving from watching the surf in my hammock to sitting on a chair in the grass, to reading in my bed, to eating, to text messaging girls I have met, or my sister in OREGON, HI Shonda..i love to send you random texts that you pay for, hehhehhe! That is a smart company in usa charging people to receive text messages too, here they don’t do this….it costs 2pennies to send one text here and you may see 5 out of 10 people in the text messaging act at any given moment anywhere in Philippines, even a remote village…..It can be easy to keep myself busy with these things I make time to meditate and do nothing daily and will keep increasing this.
These activities are rather harmless and very good comparably.. (granted in the past my thoughts were always about makin money, buying more things I dont need, drinking alcohol, chasing women, making more money, buying new cars, etc.....)

Xmas in the Philippines is very big here….big family times…I have several invites to spend xmas with families here, I may go visit an American guy and his philippina wife and boy and make durian shakes, but I may choose to isolate and be alone and be OK with this, as it is my choice……Many people are ALONE not by choice these holidays. Besides, xmas to me is about being with family and friends, as I am NOT religious….so no church tonight (most go to church tonight at midnight!).

The love for Americans is HUGE in Philippines…this seems to piss off the French the most (or so I have read and believe)! Then the other European countries get tired of being called Americans…but we Amercians are loving it…..They love us (not that there are many tourists in this area, none) and seem to wear USA shirts all the time…I see this in themiddle of remote villages too.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

It sounds like you are right on track man...living your dreams. The simple life truly is the most pleasurable life isn't it?

You're inspiring me. I need more warmth and sunshine in my life. I'm really starting to notice my motivation, activities levels and energy level drop now that the temperature has dropped.

Keep well Darrick. Hopefully we'll meet one day and I can get one of those t-shirts from ya!

Peace
Kev

Vagabonding RawVEGAN said...

HI Kev,
I love your comments thank you!
your welcome for any inspiration I provide.
let me know if you can meet up
D

Anonymous said...

wonderful post. i loved reading about your dream life...it was truly inspiring! keep up the great work...i look forward to following your travels via your blog.
denise (a fellow raw vegan)