Saturday, October 4, 2008

India: "Stare Hard Retard!", Eating Lots......

When I was growing up, I was taught to never stare at others. Looking at someone for more than a couple seconds was considered rude in our society. In fact, many kids would say, "Stare Hard Retard", if you were caught looking at them for longer than one or two seconds. IN India, The culture is much different obviously. People stare and stare and that is just fine. They mean no harm, they are just curious and interested people. Why do I get uncomfortable and agry inside when I have 100 Indian people staring at me and surrounding me? I guess I am not meant to be a famous person, or I need a ton more self-development. I am getting better at Understanding and accepting this constant staring situation, but not fast as I would like. I purchased some sunglasses today (normally I dont wear them, since I feel it makes my eyes weak). My sunglasses are the 'mirror' type so my eyes are hidden....i love this tricky form of privacy.
DELHI is the capital of India....with very little room for movement and massive numbers of people around...It is absolutely Fascinating to stroll through the city and sidestreets and just absorb this culture. The food sellers are everywhere..vegan food is abundant!!!...It takes alot of work to eat meat here, to find it available (as opposite of USA, it seems to be in everything)..MY addictive personality and strong justification system have decided to eat a cooked vegan diet while traveling with a large amount of Raw fruits (knowing that I feel way less energetic and healthy with all the oils/salts/sugars/flavor enhancers/cooked rancidity)..But in my mind the cooked food addict is better than being a heroin/pot/drug/caffeine/alcohol/smoker addict.........It is dangerous for me to walk around the food when I am not hungry, because I soon talk myself into eating for pleasure, which means I eat until my tummy hurts sometimes..like just now...I already had two huge fresh papayas and 6 Custard apples, then I waited for one hour and walked around watching many many people eating at several foood stalls outside...eating things like fresh popcorn, boiled garbonzo beans with onions/spices/parcely/lemon juice, yellow Dahl, Chipatta breads and other types of wheat based baked and fried breads, popadom, orange slices, Chair tea, peanuts, curries, rice, sweets, samosas, fried potato cakes, spicy eggplant curries, ripe bananas, juices, masala teas, apples, salty homeade chips, It doesn't take long to talk yourself into eating much earlier than you should. I tried some Chai Tea being freeshly prepared on the street and had a group of little INdian boys around me smiling laughing, watching, staring....then I ate some fresh roasted peanuts and some spicy homeade chips...now my belly aches a little and I want it to be better asap so I can eat at a PURE Vegetarian restaurant I found.....most of my eating has been the street vendors..I roam around looking for the vendors that have many Indians eating their stuff, then I go watch the preparation until I began Salivatating....
I was on a sleeper train for 40 hours and it is soooo awesome..fully Air conditioned, comfy bed to stretch out on, nice window view of alll the action in India slums/city/country/ trainstations/......people come abord and walk the isles selling massive varieties of spicy yummy cooked vegan foods...... I had a potato/cabbage/tomato burger, several spicey curries with sooo much flavor you cant think of anything but the taste in your mouth (talk about being in the moment, and meditation its Powerfully addicting in many ways). Bannanas are selling everywhere..masive quantities about 5cents a pound, not the best tasting (Nepal had the best ever) but pretty darn good. Not a lot of variety of fruits available here in INdia so far..I'll keep looking....(Thailand was exceptional, Malaysia and INdonesia too).

Delhi has many tourist attractions to see....I dont seem motivated to see any of them....I just enjoy sitting on a corner and watching the India Chaos much more and meeting the people and chatting with the little kids. I actually have learned that I am not much for the sites: Temples, museums, etc... I am always craving an more natural environment (beach preferrably). I booked my 28hour train ticket to GOA for tomorrow! this is a Beach area and sounds wonderful..It is Southern INdia which means more coconut curries also......I love the train system..its fun to stop at different trainstations and search out the best INdian food (we usually have 15minutes to get some yummy foods and then get back on the train), bowl of currie and 5 chipati breads for 10cents!!!!!)...
..I met an Indian boy, 33 years of age last night on the train...we hung out for a few hours, then shared a hotel together...i learned some about their culture through him...he works for the Indian airforce and trades stocks..he si upperclass....there seems to be 4classes of people here and the lowest is the street sweepers and the women are low too. I am feeling the hunger coming back, maybe since I started doing some morning exercises again after one week of lazinesss due to too much fatty cooked foods. I like to start the day with yoga, pushups, lunges, stretching.....my metabolism is faster now, so I can eat more, ehehhehhhe.
Eating, sleeping, meeting new people, experiencing new culture and massive poverty (destitute women, cripples, and kids grabbing my clothes for money or foood), finding ways to contribute (giving away money to nonbeggars is my new way...I like to look for a poor person doing their own thing and suprise them with enough money to feed them for one month = $4 US dollars!).

No comments: