Friday, June 20, 2008

simple living: my small backpack contains:



A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau


Harley and I slept on tile floors for several days. I had only one blanket between the floor and my body, Harley had only a sheet.....The first couple of days were challenging, but then my body adapted and I slept especially outstanding on my last night there...absolutely Zero furniture in the unit.
It is fun to find ways to live more simply for me....It seems to leave less of a footprint on this earth....my current diet requires no cooking and is producing only compostable scraps (all fruit), no packagings, paper, plastic, etc...

I have reduced my positions to a small backpack:
1 longsleeve breathable sunprotection shirt
1 short sleeve shirt ('friend not food' shirt)
2shorts, one pair of flipflops, one night light (headlamp)
tootbrush
dental floss
one book (Walden, by Henry Thoreau)
one journal
nailclippers
one pen
one hat (my "friend not food" hat)
passport
moneybelt and $$$$
surfing rashguard
surfing booties
cycling shoes
bicycle (I am traveling with my bike, If I am on the bus, I put it with the luggage)

for those interested in simplifying their lives a littel, here is a starting list...
http://zenhabits.net/2007/09/simple-living-manifesto-72-ideas-to-simplify-your-life/


As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.

Henry David Thoreau

No comments: